Philadelphia, also known as the “City of Brotherly Love,” is home to a diverse and delicious food scene. From traditional cheesesteaks to modern fusion cuisine, there is something for every palate in this historic city. Here are some of the top foods you must try when visiting Philadelphia:
- Cheesesteak – The cheesesteak is a Philadelphia classic and a must-try for any food lover visiting the city. Thinly sliced steak is cooked with onions and topped with melted cheese, traditionally Cheez Whiz, but provolone and american are also options and served on a long roll. Pat’s King of Steaks and Geno’s Steaks are two of the most famous cheesesteak shops in the city, and both are located on opposite corners of 9th Street and Passyunk Avenue in South Philadelphia.
- Soft Pretzels – Soft pretzels are a staple in Philadelphia, and can be found at street vendors, sports stadiums, and even at high-end restaurants. They are made from dough that is shaped into a pretzel shape and then boiled in a baking soda bath before being baked. They are often served with yellow mustard and are a perfect snack to enjoy while walking around the city.
- Hoagies – Hoagies, also known as subs or grinders, are another classic Philadelphia sandwich. They are made with a long roll and filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, and vegetables. The most popular hoagie is the “Italian Hoagie,” which is filled with ham, salami, capicola, and provolone cheese.
- Roast Pork Sandwich – Another classic sandwich from Philadelphia is the Roast Pork sandwich. Slow-roasted pork is sliced thin and topped with broccoli rabe and provolone cheese on a roll. It’s a delicious and hearty sandwich that is perfect for lunch or dinner.
- Tastykakes – Tastykakes are a beloved snack in Philadelphia and can be found in most convenience stores and supermarkets. These small cakes come in a variety of flavors such as chocolate, peanut butter, and lemon and are a sweet and satisfying treat.
In conclusion, Philadelphia offers a diverse and delicious food scene. From the classic Cheesesteak to the beloved Tastykake, there is something for every palate in this historic city. Be sure to try these top foods and discover the delicious flavors of Philadelphia cuisine.